Tech mistake |Social media is arguably one of the 20th century’s most significant developments yet it seems to have taken the world by too big a storm. Social media has become an important part of today’s society, more so for students. Despite the move by most schools to block social media sites on their computers, students still have access to sites such as Facebook and Twitter on their phones, tablets and laptops.
Social media has made communication much easier than it was a few decades ago. Social media has made the world a global village so that it easy for people from all over the world to connect at the touch of a button. Despite the noble intentions behind the creation of social media, social media has sparked a harsh debate from critics who feel that it may have serious adverse effects on students and their grades.
Cons of Social Media
- Addiction. The use of social media can elicit happiness that may lead to feelings of addiction. Social media addiction is particularly harmful to students because it interferes with their ability to complete necessary academic work. The result of these is that students may get poor grades.
- It discourages face-to-face communication. Overuse of social media has made it easy for students to complete tasks without communicating with their teachers and fellow students face-to-face. The result of this is that the current generation is made up of students who are unable to express themselves clearly when required to do so. Most of today’s students are so socially awkward that they cannot express themselves well in front of fellow students or an interview panel. Such instances require command and coherence that can only be mustered by interacting with others.
- Privacy. Since social media collects personal information about its users that is then used to target consumers in marketing campaigns, a person’s privacy is not truly guaranteed.
- Distraction. A lot of students take too much time on social media due to its addictive effects. Social media, therefore, acts as a deterrent to concentration and focus on one’s studies.
- False sense of security. Social media offers a false sense of security that causes some students to engage in activities that they would not do otherwise. Some students may feel compelled to post compromising photos and controversial opinions. Some of these things could potentially affect their future as prospective employers sometimes look to an applicant’s social media to get insight into their personality.
Turning the Cons of Social Media into Pros
- Use social media to build positive relationships. Social media has made it possible for students to hold online group discussions relating to academic work. Social media also allows students to help each other with their assignments and homework remotely.
- Use social media to improve student participation. Some students may not be as expressive as others in a classroom setting due to fear of failure or mockery. Social media creates a bubble that makes it easy for such students to not only express their opinions but also ask questions that will improve their learning. Of course, social media cannot substitute class participation. However, it is a great way to help shy students build their confidence. They are able to learn to express themselves in class.
- Sharing class resources via social media. With social media, class instructors can easily share course materials such as notes and books with the students at a time.
- Cultural exchange. Thanks to globalization and social media, the world has become a global village. Students can interact with other students from different backgrounds and cultures. This exposure to different cultures helps to shape their ideas and opinions.
- Nurturing creativity. Social media provides students with a creative outlet since it is a platform for self-expression. Students can use social media to share films, photography, illustrations and written work. Sharing creative work on social media helps to foster creativity because an individual will receive feedback and comments which will help him/her improve his/her craft.
- Entertainment and education. Social media sites such as Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Instagram are full of entertaining videos, images as well as blogs that students can use to relax their minds. Furthermore, some of this entertaining information contains educative facts that may be useful to a student’s research.
- Mental health benefits. Social media can help improve the mental health of a person because it stimulates the release of oxytocin hormone. This hormone reduces stress and elicits feelings of happiness that help to create a sense of peace.
- Communication between teachers and students. Through social media sites like Stunited and Facebook, teachers and students can communicate privately about their academic work. Students can easily seek clarification about academic issues without physically going to the office while teachers can conveniently make public posts addressed to the students.
- Homework writing help. Students can easily seek academic writing services online if they have difficulty completing certain assignments. Social media sites make it easy to access professional ENL writing services years of experience in writing perfect academic essays.
Social media has many advantages which may not be realized if students misuse it. When social media is not used properly, it may negatively affect a student’s academic performance.
Nonetheless, with discipline, students may be able to turn pros to cons. The greatest limitation of social media use is that it impairs with a student’s ability to focus or concentrate on tasks. Student’s can use social media to access professional writing services to enable them to get the best grades on their essays and other academic assignments.